Barock meets Business

A journey through the history of Montabaur Castle

As a modern hotel, Montabaur Castle looks back on a long and varied history. Experience interesting backgrounds and at the same time gain unusual perspectives on the castle and its areas.

Montabaur Castle was first mentioned in records in the year 859 under the name “Humbach”. The palace received its current footprint between 1687 and 1709 and served as the Residence of the Electors and Archbishops of Trier until 1802 before passing into the possession of the Duchy of Nassau-Weilburg. From 1868, Schloss Montabaur was the seat of the District Administrator of Lower Westerwald. It became the headquarters of Montabaur District Council from 1946.

In 1969, Montabaur Castle was purchased by the German Cooperative Society and converted into an academy centre. It has been owned by the German Cooperative Academy (ADG) since 1981. In 2001, the hotel received a four-star rating from the German Hotel and Restaurants Association. Ongoing renovations to the guest houses took place over the following years.

In 2008 the new business spa was built. The new reception welcomes the guest in its own modern reception building since 2009 and in April 2011 the new event center was opened on the premises. In 2014 the new Coblenz guest house opened with exemplary energy efficiency in modern design.

The most important facts at a glance:

  • 959 - first documentary mention under the name "Humbach"
  • From 1018 - Archbishops of Trier as unrestricted territorial lords
  • 1227 - first mentioned as "castrum Muntabur"
  • From 1686 - Conversion to the baroque palace under Archbishop Johann-Hugo von Orsbeck
  • Until 1801 - residence of the archbishops and electors of Trier
  • 1802 - official land takeover by the duchy Nassau-Weilburg
  • From 1868 - the seat of the Landrat for the Unterwesterwaldkreis
  • 1946-1969 - central administrative seat of the government district Montabaur
  • 1969 - Purchase of the castle by the Deutsche Genossenschaftskasse and conversion to an academy center for cooperative educational institutions
  • 1998 - Four star certification of the hotel by the German Hotel and Catering Association
  • 2008-2009 - Reconstruction of the new business spa and new reception building as a modern reception building     2011 - Opening of the new event center for up to 350 people
  • 2011 - Foundation of the ADG Business School at the Steinbeis Hochschule Berlin and the Akademie der Verbundgruppen ADV
  • 2014 - Opening of the new Coblenz guest house with exemplary energy efficiency in modern design
  • Today - ADG: one of the leading management academies in Germany with approximately 1,400 events and approximately 19,000 participants per year. Hotel Schloss Montabaur: Four-star hotel with about 70,000 overnight stays per year.